BabbleFish

Looking for translation software? You're in the wrong place. But. If you think you might be interested in the musings of a cranky forty-something learning to follow her dreams, live without fear, love herself, and look good doing it, well then, hell, come on down!

Sunday, March 19, 2006

But Honey, I'm Doing This for POOH!

Why is it that I can do the right things for someone (or something) else? I mean, I'm not a stupid person. Despite what you might think upon spotting me in the grocery store checkout line with a pint of Dove's Unconditional Chocolate ice cream, I do know how to eat right. I do. And I also know that, to lose weight, I need to eat less and move more. I know the right things to do--I just don't do them. And I don't understand that. I know that being overweight increases my risk of heart disease, diabetes and certain kinds of cancers. I know that if I lost weight I'd both look and feel better. I want to weigh less. I just don't want to have to do the work.

Ah, but put me in a play where I have to scoot through a rabbit hole, run around the stage as though pulled by a kite and climb up a bedpost, and suddenly I'm motivated. I actually dug out my Pilates DVD today and attempted the 20-minute workout. I couldn't tell you the last time I did Pilates.

Whatever gets me moving is good, right? But. But, but, but...why am I not enough on my own? Why do I need some sort of external motivation in order to make the healthy choices that I should be making anyway? Why am I not reason enough, all by myself?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home